Saturday, June 28, 2008

June 27 - 28, 2008 - NO PHOTOS - Exceptionally long drive to Beaverton, OR; stay with friend, cats and rapidly deteriorating chest cold.

I did not have a good sleep  so I got up about 6-ish, had a quick breakfast and hit the road – aiming for Portland that night.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I think  the hiking difficulty I experienced must have been intensified by the worst California fires in years, where there were "bad air" warnings from Bakersfield  to Redding.  Even though it was cool high in the mountains the air had a haze, wasn't crystal-clear as usual, and though we didn't give it much thought, I believe the conditions must have slowed us down.

On the road through California, the air was absolutely awful – purple, in fact.  Could not see across the highway and it really made no difference whether one was in the car or outside – the air quality was the same.  I found out later it was in the “high danger” zone. 

A friend of mine commented “I am hiding in my house, trying not to breathe, due to smoke in the air. The temperature is supposed to be 114 degrees Fahrenheit today. … saw  a blood-red moon last night, which was beautiful, but unsettling."

By the time I reached the Oregon border we were out of the smoke but my breathing had deteriorated considerably.  Wheezing, I was.  I arrived in Portland to my friend Kay’s in the early evening and we went out for a bite to eat.  I was absolutely dead tired and slept like a log with cats clambering all over and using the bed as a battle ground. 


In the morning, we had breakfast but then I came back and slept some more.  I was clearly right tuckered out.  Went out for a ride on the Tri-met but I had to give it up due to exhaustion.  That night we had a hugely delicious dinner at Elmer’s, a “delicious down home Northwest dining experience which specializes in roast beef dinners.  Mmmm good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment